Look Higher. Live Higher.
About Ascend Student Ministry
Ascend Student Ministry of First Baptist Church exists to allow 7th-12th grade students and their parents to Experience Life-Changing Relationships.
We do this by:
- Introducing students to a personal, life-changing relationship with the God who created them.
- We do this by diving into God’s Word (the Bible), by sharing with them the life and ministry of God’s Son (Jesus), and by showing them what this means to their personal lives.
- Inviting them to join other believers on the life-changing mission of following their Creator.
- We do this by inviting them to join a Bible Fellowship Group with others their age, by offering exciting opportunities to serve and grow (Camps, Mission Trips & Retreat weekends), and by providing a great facility to enjoy life-changing fellowship.
- Investing into their lives through meaningful mentorship with God-honoring adult leadership.
- We do this by connecting them with trained and approved adults that will take an active part in their life journey.
- Come and Join us as we ASCEND towards Him!
We hope that your family will come and experience what Life-Changing Relationships look like by joining us at Ascend Student Ministry!
Chris grew up in DeFuniak Springs, Florida. He is a graduate of the University of West Florida (Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting) and New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary (Master of Divinity). Before coming to FBC, Chris served for more than six years at Hartford Baptist Church in Hartford, AL in the roles of both Student Pastor and Senior Pastor. Chris and his wife, Crystal, have been blessed with 5 children (Andrew, Luke, Ella Grace, Emery Faith and Nathanael). Chris’ current favorite life thought comes from 1 John 2:6 – Whoever claims to live in Him (Jesus) must live as Jesus did (NIV).
Associate Student Pastor
Student Ministry Intern
Minister, College & Young Families
Josh is from Sulphur Springs TX. He Joined the staff in June of 2007. Josh has a Bachelor of Arts degree in Religion from East Texas Baptist University, and a Master of Divinity degree from the New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary. He has been in student ministry and a worship leader since 2000. Josh and his wife, Leslie love their daughter Kate and their son Judah! They enjoy serving together in the collegiate and young professionals ministry at FBC.
Minister, Family Life
Bill Boren serves as our Family Life Pastor. He joined the staff of FBC Covington in May 2006. He has been in student and family ministry since 1993, while serving churches in Louisiana, Florida, and Mississippi. He is a graduate from Mississippi State University with a Bachelor of Science and the New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary with a Master of Divinity and a Doctor of Ministry. Both originally from Meridian, MS, Bill and his wife Jill enjoy raising their twin daughters, Halle and Hannah and their youngest daughter, Harper.
Youth Bible Fellowship (YBF)
Every Sunday at 9:30 and 11am
Youth Bible fellowship (YBF) Groups are offered for grades 7-12. In a Bible Fellowship you will experience:
- CONNECTING –Beginning in Bible Fellowships, a special close-knit circle of friends can be formed beyond the walls of the church. With these groups come a safe place to express concerns and an atmosphere of healthy transparency. In a small group setting like Bible Fellowships, you can find deeper love and acceptance.
- GROWING – More than simply hearing another sermon, Bible Fellowships provide involvement and time to participate in open discussions regarding biblical principles and spiritual growth. This time will help you dig in and better understand the ideas and concepts in the Word of God.
- MULTIPLYING – Bible Fellowship Groups encourage you to be involved in exercising your spiritual gifts to uplift the body of Christ. This is done in a variety of ways to ensure that there is something for everyone.
8:20am on Select Sundays
Lead U is a group of student leaders that meet to grow as leaders and influencers in our Student ministry and beyond. Involvement is is invitation based and students agree to a code of conduct and expectations.
Sunday Worship Teams – 5:00-6:15pm
Ascend Worship Choir and Praise Band will meet on Sunday nights to grow as worshippers. These groups are integral in carrying the Good News to our community and within our student ministry worship environment.
Sunday Nights – 6:30-8:00pm
We utilize a variety of discipleship opportunities throughout the month on Sunday nights. These nights are designed to connect you and your friends to the journey, no matter where you are beginning! Below are the events that you will want to include in your monthly plans!
K2 – First Sunday Night
Our month begins with K2, which is all about the Kingdom of God and Koinonia (Biblical Greek word for fellowship)! We want to start climbing together, no matter who you are or where you are starting from. This event will be full of fun, laughter, attractional themes and, most importantly, a presentation of the hope found in Christ. This is the perfect night to invite friends who have never been to Ascend!
K2 Scheduled Dates
- September 10
- October 1
- November 5
- December 3
- January 7
- February 4
- March 11
- April 18
- May 6
Ascend Home Groups
Ascend Groups are in-home discipleship groups that will meet on alternating Sunday nights (dates found at link below). These groups will focus on developing a deeper understanding of God’s Word and church community. Prayer, accountability and life-changing friendships can be experienced as students journey together.
Ascend Home Groups Scheduled Dates
- September 17
- October 15 & 29
- November 12
- December 10
- January 14 & 28
- February 18
- March 18
- April 15 & 29
- May 20
The third Sunday Night we meet at the ROC for a time to enjoy a laid back gathering with friends in the ROC REC Room (R200) and the ROC REC Fields.
ROC REC Groups Scheduled Dates
- September 24
- October 22
- November 19
- December 17
- January 21
- February 25
- March 25
- April 22
- May 27
5:00-6:30pm – Fellowship Meal (cost applies)
5:30-6:30pm – Bible Discovery for Youth
6:30-7:45pm – Ascension Worship Night
Bible Discovery meets during the school year and offers a time to be trained in Bible Memorization (Bible Drill material), apologetics and practical instruction. This hour will allow you to prepare to compete at highest level in Bible Drill, but more importantly, to commit Scripture to your heart and how to apply it to your life.
Ascension Worship Night
Ascension Worship meets every Wednesday Night during the school year. This is a night of powerful worship led by our Ascend Praise Band, a relevant Bible Message, and discussion in Family Groups.
- CONNECTING – Bring friends to experience the church during the middle of the week. Every week we will focus our eyes on the Light of the World!
- GROWING – This is a time to be challenged to grow in the middle of your crazy school weeks. Worship and church community in the middle of the week will drastically change your outlook and effectiveness!
Every Tuesday at 7pm
Overcome Your Hurts, Habits and Hangups. The Landing is Celebrate Recovery designed for students ages 12-18.
DNOW 2016 – Obedient
FBC Ice Bucket Dump
Right Now Media